21 February 2008

Summer come early.

Winter can really wear a guy down. However, there is a lot a guy can do to keep from going stir-crazy. Like, for instance, I'm trying this blog and it can be fun. I think it can be unhealthy at the same time. Like, for instance, a guy focuses on one thing too much. It can make you seem crazy. The trick is to find something you know a lot about and are able to talk about without sounding like a hick. I can talk about guns. So I try to keep my Gun of the Week going. Or I can write about a book I'm reading. Maybe somebody read the same book and can share ideas. I think I will also start talking about some music I like. For instance, I recently discovered Roscoe Holcomb. He is interesting because, he came from the land he sang about, the Apallachians. He actually worked in the coal mines and tilled that land. He was authentic in a way that would be hard to find in a contemporary recording artist.

In this video I've posted, he's playing "Little Birdie," a song I enjoy hearing another banjo great-Ralph Stanley-perform. Incidentally, I learned, Holcomb was admired by Stanley and I wonder if his style was an influence on Stanley's timbre and his "Claw Hammer" playing style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home